Screens keep bugs out, not kids in.
- Window guards, to prevent children from falling out of windows.
- Window stops so that windows open no more than four inches.
- Close and lock windows when they are not being used.
- Keep furniture away from windows so kids cannot climb to the ledge.
- If you have double-hung windows —it is generally safer to open the top pane, but growing kids may have enough strength, dexterity and curiosity to open the bottom pane. Be vigilant.
- Do not rely on window screens to prevent falls.
- Supervise children at all times, especially around open windows.